The GEOBIN composting system presents ‘How To Compost’
Welcome to your online resource for getting started with composting. In addition to the tips below and on the GEOBIN instruction sheet (download a pdf now), click on valuable links that will help you get the most from your composting.
What to Compost?
- Kitchen scraps such as vegetables, eggshells, fruit peeling, and coffee grounds
- Garden and yard material such as grass clippings, leaves, annual plants, and vegetables
- Manure from plant-eating animals only (NOT from household pets)
- Cardboard (including the GEOBIN box)
- Plants with disease or insect problems (compost only during summer months)
- DO NOT COMPOST: bones, meat scraps, dairy, twigs/branches
How to Compost?
- Alternate layers of organic waste, separating layers with non-glossy newsprint
- Keep moist (not WET, but MOIST—like a squeezed out sponge)
- Turn every 4-6 weeks to aid aeration
- Add thin layers of soil to improve the process