The GEOBIN® composting system presents ‘How to Compost’
Welcome to your online resource for getting started with composting. In addition to the tips below and on the GEOBIN instruction sheet (download a pdf now), click on valuable links that will help you get the most from your composting.
What to Compost?
- Kitchen scraps such as vegetables, eggshells, fruit peeling, and coffee grounds
- Garden and yard material such as grass clippings, leaves, annual plants, and vegetables
- Manure from plant-eating animals only (NOT from household pets)
- Cardboard (including the GEOBIN box)
- Plants with disease or insect problems (compost only during summer months)
- DO NOT COMPOST: bones, meat scraps, dairy, twigs/branches
How to Compost?
- Alternate layers of organic waste, separating layers with non-glossy newsprint
- Keep moist (not WET, but MOIST—like a squeezed out sponge)
- Turn every 4-6 weeks to aid aeration
- Add thin layers of soil to improve the process